Let me tell you how many things you can do in 20 square kilometers...
From the typical trattorie to the romantic towns of the hinterland, … from the adventure parks to the cycling paths, … from unbridled shopping to cool evening walks on the port’s canal…. … it is very easy for us “locals” to recommend activities in Cesenatico. Here are three itineraries that you will like!
Cesenatico on foot
You should know that Cesenatico is not only the sea, sun beds and beach umbrellas but also very gracious fishing villages with the characteristic pastel colored homes.
Take a day discovering it; here are the most important places that we recommend not to miss:
- The port’s canal. Created in the sixteenth century from a design by Leonardo da Vinci, today this is the pulsating heart of the city that has a different soul every season. The best way to discover it is on foot. Each home hides a soul: a typical osteria, a place to buy a piadina to eat, a museum or a craft shop, each activity is a place to discover.
- Pantani’s Space. This is the museum dedicated to champion cyclist Marco Pantani who was born in Cesenatico. Here you can retrace the Pirata’s (his nickname was the Pirate) extraordinary career with the display of memorabilia and photos. This is a must-see if you are a sports fan”
- Piadineria QuintoQuarto. In our opinion this is the best place to taste Cesenatico’s true piadina! Stop here for a light lunch in full Romagna style.
- Piadineria Gilly. Practically in front of the Lungomare, this piadineria is managed by super authentic people from Romagna who prepare piadine and crescioni to be applauded.
- Il museo della Marineria (Maritime Museum). This is the only floating museum in Italy and one of the few in the world. It contains a dozen different vessels used by the inhabitants between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The interesting thing is you can touch the materials by hand, in fact the museum invites you to do so!
- The dock and the ferry MIrko If you continue along the port’s canal towards the sea you will find the Darzena, the dock area, where there is a statue dedicated to the Sailors’ Brides. If the idea is of turning back in time and crossing one of the bridges on foot does not bore you, then you can try the Ferry Mirko, an institution in the city that for a few cents will take you to the other side of the canal.
- The Park of the Levante. 35 hectares of lawn, centuries sold trees, ponds inhabited by regal swans, ducks and moorhens. It is scattered with cycling paths, splendid picnic areas, games areas for children and sporting paths. The park also has an area for bird watching, one for dog trimming and one for Yoga courses..
Visit Cesenatico by city bike
Romagna’s Riviera is a true paradise for lovers of cyclists and also for those who are not too familiar with bicycles!
Do you know you can visit Cesenatico by bike, with no hurry to enjoy the spectacle of a fishing village immersed in nature?
Here is the tour we recommend:
- Starting from Hotel Lungomare in a few minutes you will reach the splendid Park of the Levante, discover the swans in the ponds and breathe in the air of its lawns.
- Stop at Piazza Marconi to admire the statue dedicated to the unforgettable Pirate of Cesenatico, Marco Pantani.
- Continue to the Giardini del Mare (the Gardens of the Sea) with its fountains and its scented groves.
- Admire the splendor of the legendary Grand Hotel and its skyscraper
- Reach the wharf and observe the stilt buildings and fishing huts.
- Go up following Leonardo da Vinci’s wonderful canal, the lighthouse and the ruins of the pier
- Proceed to the city center, the Pescheria (Fish market), Piazza delle Erbe and Piazza delle Conserve, and Piazza Pisacane
- Discover the home of the poet Marino Moretti, the Town Hall designed by Giò Ponti, up to the old Squero (boat construction shed), the dock and the fish market.
- And then continue to the western seafront to reach the colony area and the Park of the Ponente.
The coolest places to have an aperitif in Cesenatico
At Maré romance and attention to detail are at home. Built directly on the beach and on Cesenatico’s pier, this is a charming place that is always frequented by the town’s young people. From 6.00pm you can find an aperitif with good music and excellent food. But the real show starts at 8.00pm when the kitchen opens and you can eat by candle light on the beach. Or on high terrace overlooking the sea.
You should know that the cocktails at Mapicò are not simply drinks but true works of art.
They are so beautiful that when they reach the table it is almost a sin to drink them.
This is an informal locale that is tastefully furnished and with a very intimate and welcoming atmosphere. Drinks of all types are brought to the tables and served as small works of art. Mapicò is in front of the maritime museum.
Oro Bianco Champagnerie - Cesenatico
This is a hospitable salon with an essential Oriental style. Located in the heart of Cesenatico, this is the favorite meeting place for Cesenatico’s coolest young people.
This is the ideal place also for aperitifs, and after dinner and all those moments in which you want to choose and sip a good wine in company.
Molo 9 Cinque - Cesenatico
On the port’s canal, Il Molo is the ideal place for those who want to spend an evening in a chic locale listening to good music in one of the Riviera’s most magical settings.
This is the perfect little spot for any occasion and it is strategic due to its position on the port’s canal. It is a few steps away from the beach and with a view up to Milano Marittima! This is also excellent for only a sunset aperitif and the dj set.
Joe Bananas NoStress bar
Sunset by the sea sipping an aperitif or in the evening, having a nice cocktail under the shiny stars. Relaxing, pleasant and suggestive. For an hour or for the whole evening.
Villamarina Cesenatico and Gatteo a Mare’s Pedestrian Area
After 8.00pm all the area around the Lungomare becomes a pedestrian area that gives tourists the chance to enjoy a walk amongst the stores, bars, craft markets and games for the youngsters.